Cats and dogs that suffer from various skin allergies and conditions can be given CBD oil to help reduce symptoms, including inflammation and pain. In this article, we talk about how CBD oil works, and how you can administer it safely to your pet.
Best CBD Oil for Cats and Dogs with Skin Allergies
These are our hand-picked and researched CBD companies for dogs and cats with skin allergies.
What Is Inflammation and Pain?
Pain is a sensation in the body that is triggered by the brain. While it is unpleasant to experience, it is helpful in recognizing that there is a problem. Inflammation and pain resulting from it typically indicate that there is tissue damage.
Inflammation occurs when the immune system responds to things like damaged cells, toxic compounds, and pathogens related to the disease. When a part of the body is inflamed, the immune system will work hard to remove what is causing that inflammation, so that the body can begin healing.
Dogs and cats can experience inflammation when they come into contact with factors that can be detrimental to their health.
Health Conditions Associated with Allergies
There are many different reasons why your pet may be experiencing allergies, skin issues, and inflammation.
Let’s take a look at what some of these are:
- Autoimmune Disease: if your pet is suffering from an autoimmune disease associated with the skin, their immune system will attack healthy cells, which could result in visible blisters.
- Atopic Dermatitis: This is another kind of skin disease that is caused by issues with the immune system. Dogs and cats suffering from this condition usually experience itchiness, and this itchiness may end up spreading to different parts of the body.
- Acral Lick Granulomas: these are painful bumps that can appear on your pet’s skin, which are often caused by too much licking.
- Acute Moist Dermatitis: this is when bacteria infect the skin, causing the surface to break. This can cause pus to get caught in the fur and can get worse if your pet continues to irritate the area.
- Scabies: mites can burrow into your pet’s skin and cause wounds called scabies. The skin will become extremely irritated and itchy, and the fur can even come off in places.
- Flea Allergy Dermatitis: cats and dogs’ skin can often be sensitive to the saliva of fleas left with flea bites. This type of condition is called flea allergy dermatitis.
Causes of Skin Disease in Cats and Dogs
Now that we’ve talked about common medical conditions that can affect your pets’ skin and hair, let’s take a look at some common causes:
- Hereditary: Some allergies are genetic, which means that it’s the result of a specific breed passing down genes to the next generation.
- Poor Hygiene: a lack of hygiene in your pet can cause irritants like pests, mold, or pollen to come into contact with the skin and irritate it. This is why it’s a good idea to keep on top of your pets’ hygiene.
- Diseases: if your pet is suffering from a disease that is affecting their organs, this could also be causing irritation to their skin.
- Food Allergies: your pet may be allergic to the food you are feeding them. If they experienced a skin issue after introducing a new food, you might want to consider switching it up for something else.
- Poor Nutrition: it’s crucial that your pet gets a wide variety of nutrients in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If they aren’t getting this, they could be experiencing allergies and health conditions as a result.
The Symptoms of Skin Disease in Cats and Dogs
There are some common symptoms of skin allergies and diseases. These include swelling, warmth, skin redness, pain, and discomfort. Additionally, your pet may find it difficult to move a certain body part due to inflammation.
If your pet is scratching its skin a lot or grooming more frequently than normal, than they could be experiencing allergies or issues with their skin.
Treating Skin Disease and Allergies in Cats and Dogs Naturally
CBD could be an effective treatment for symptoms, including pain, inflammation, and itchiness. This is because it could have anti-inflammatory properties that can help skin conditions. Right now, there is evidence out there to suggest that CBD is an effective treatment for symptoms like inflammation and pain.
They work on the cells to calm them down and reduce the inflammatory reaction that is sent out to different parts of the body.
The best part is, CBD is safe for your cat or dog to take. In contrast, there are many conventional medicines out there that come with harmful side effects, which could end up hurting your pet’s internal organs permanently.
You can administer a CBD dose either topically or orally, depending on the needs of your pet and what you are treating. It’s always recommended that you consult with your local vet before deciding on CBD as your natural, alternative treatment.
It’s important to remember that while CBD oil may not be able to get rid of the issue completely, it is going to help relieve acute symptoms and make your pet feel better in general. Your vet will be able to find the root cause of your pet’s health issues so that they can accurately prescribe the right treatment.
Latest posts by Anne Keiley (see all)
- What Are the Symptoms of Low Probiotics? - June 12, 2021
- 3 Common Strength Training Mistakes - June 11, 2021
- How To Effectively Fight Back Against A Bloating Body - May 26, 2021