This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More.
Do you remember the last time you put your feet up to relax?
Think about how it felt to sit back and rest your feet on an ottoman, footrest, stool, or whatever is there to put your feet on.
Ergonomic footrests provide the best solution for putting your feet up to relax your tired, aching feet, but they are also beneficial for your back and posture.
Usually, you might consider sitting in a recliner with your feet up at the end of a workday.
The Best Ergonomic Footrests for Your Home & Office
However, there is a multitude of reviews of footrests and many options online. We’ve done the hard work for you, so you can relax with one of these top ergonomic footrests.
Our top pick for footrests is the Humanscale FM 300 Foot Machine Footrest. Not only is this footrest highly rated by users, it offers high-quality construction and features.
- Steel Frame
- Solid Hardwood Foot Platform
- Non-Skid Surface
- Adjustable height range between 3.75” to 6.75”
- Ideally sized at 11.875” deep by 16” wide
The steel frame provides solid, stable support, while the non-skid surface ensures that your feet will not slide off. The adjustable height feature allows you to make the appropriate adjustments, so you can relieve pressure on your lower back and relax your legs and feet.
The Humanscale FM 300 Foot Machine Footrest also allows you to rock/move your feet, which improves your blood circulation when you’re sitting.
Humanscale offers a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
The Econo High Portable Footrest offers a solid and functional design and is made from quality materials.
- Capable of holding up to 100 pounds
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
- Constructed of 100% high gloss ABS plastic
- Made in the USA
- Helps to improve posture and circulation
- Innovative sliding panels for more foot space, which can be retracted and locked into place for storage or locked in place when they are slid out and in use
Keep in mind, this is a footrest and not a footstool. It is sturdy and well-constructed but is not intended to be used as a standing stool.
Prolonged sitting takes its toll on your body. This top ergonomic footrest for back pain is innovative, portable, and has foldable legs.
Some users reported it to be a bit heavier than expected, even though it’s considered lightweight and portable.
Many users with trouble reaching the floor when sitting find the Econo High Portable Footrest to be ideal for avoiding posture problems.
Number three on our list of top ergonomic footrests for back pain is the Kantek FR600 Professional Adjustable Footrest. It offers several functional benefits and is a high-quality footrest.
- Ergonomically designed for enhanced comfort that aids with relieving muscle fatigue and strain
- Four height positions – easy to adjust
- Easy-glide, adjustable foot platform that offers adjustable tilt angles and allows you to rock your feet
- Adjustments can be made quietly and smoothly
- Large foot platform with surface bumps that can be used to massage tired feet
The features of the Kantek FR600 Professional Adjustable Footrest allow for comfort, correct posture, and correct positioning of your feet.
A favorite user feature of this footrest is the massaging bumps. Some users claim the tilting motion is somewhat noisy.
Avoiding foot and back fatigue at work helps you be more productive while you prevent aches and pains.
If you like your Smartphone for its ‘smart’ features, this Kensington Soulmate Plus Adjustable Footrest for back pain uses SmartFit technology for optimal comfort.
- Sturdy, durable construction
- Stress-reducing ergonomic positioning
- Easy foot pedal adjustment
- Angle adjustment up to 30 degrees
- SmartFit system for adjusting the tilt and height of the foot rest
- Textured anti-slip platform
- Height adjustments from 3.5” to 5”
- Memory foam padding
The Kensington Soulmate Plus Adjustable Footrest is, overall a high-quality, solidly constructed ergonomic footrest for back pain that offers optimal relief from sitting at work.
This foot rest eliminates pressure and tension at work when you need it the most.
Not everyone sits all day at a desk. Some people stand for hours at a desk or station when they work. Therefore, this Ergodriven Topo Anti-Fatigue Mat has its place in the workplace for relieving foot, neck, and back pain and strain.
- Offers next-generation features
- Stand comfortably and be active surface
- Drives subconscious movement on the cushioned surface
- Allows you to switch between standing and sitting
- 7-year warranty
The Ergodriven Topo Anti-Fatigue Mat is best suited to people who stand a lot when they work. While it can be moved to accommodate most sitting positions, not everyone can benefit from that feature if they require more height.
Overall, this is a functional and high-quality anti-fatigue mat ideal for those who stand to work or for those who still wash dishes in their sink.
Hammocks are often associated with the beach or the outdoors, but what about using one for your feet when you work? SMAGREHO has a highly portable, mini office foot hammock you can use as your foot rest at work.
- Designed for resting your feet
- Easy to fold and carry
- Hooks on either side of a desk with clips
- Made from high-quality canvas, polyethylene, wood, and steel
- Lightweight, portable, and Eco-friendly for use indoors or outdoors
- Size: 25.5 inches x 155 mm x 6.1 inches
- Weight: 12 ounces
The SMAGREHO Portable Mini Office Foot Hammock footrest is suitable for anyone who wants an inexpensive, but highly functional footrest for the office.
Some users recommended that you install brackets to hang it on to avoid rope slippage and problems with it fitting your desk. It may be designed for any average desk, but not all desks are alike.
It’s a good solution for anyone who travels for work and packs lightly.
If you prefer a footrest that is comfortable, economical, and functional with or without your shoes on, the Rest My Sole Foot Cushion Footrest is a suitable option.
- Not too tall, too soft, or not sturdy enough
- Soft, comfy padding
- Easy to remove and machine washable cover
- Anti-slip tread on its bottom to keep it in place
- Cover zipper isn’t placed where it can damage the floor
- Ergo foot pad to promote circulation and active sitting
- Weight: 12 ounces
- When the curved side is down, it can be used to rock your feet back and forth
The Rest My Sole Foot Cushion Footrest affordable, comfortable, and offers many simple features that some high-tech foot rests offer.
You don’t have to worry about getting it a little dirty sometimes because the cover is removable and machine washable. You can use it at home, at work, or when you travel because it’s lightweight and portable.
The Webble Ergonomic Office Footrest is an innovative design with a patented mesh membrane and spring suspension.
- Size: 19.5 x 11.2 x 4.6 inches
- Weight: 4.5 pounds
- The Webble uses Caster wheels for promoting active foot movement
- Ergonomic design made for activity that promotes blood circulation, flexibility, and reduces fatigue and stress on your joints and muscles
- Flexes your thighs and hips with side-to-side motion and your calves and knees using the backward and forward motions
- Contoured foot platform with breathable DuPont Hytrel mesh allows your feet to float and gives you an angle at which you can massage your arch
The Webble Ergonomic Office Footrest has been described as a theme park for your feet by some users because it’s fun for people who can’t keep their feet still when sitting.
Benefits of Using a Footrest at Home or in the Office
Here is some important information about the benefits of using a footrest.
- Pressure relief for the lower back
- Promotes leg and foot movement, which improves your circulation (Rocking footrests are perfect for this)
- Encourages correct posture by maintaining the proper leg level and preventing your body from leaning forward
- Keeps your hips just a bit higher than your knees
- Ideal for when your feet don’t reach the floor
Your posture is vital to your neck and back health whether you’re standing, sitting, walking, or lying down. Improper posture leads to back strain, muscle cramps, and back pain.
The position of your feet plays a role in improving your posture, therefore alleviating stress and tension on your neck and back, which results in less neck and back pain.
When shopping for an ergonomic footrest for back pain, here are some helpful tips to consider.
- Surface area size and texture (i.e. non-skid)
- Adjustability (angle and height)
- Weight capacity
- Heating or cooling features if necessary
- Portability (2 pounds or less)
- Brand reputation
- Rocker or massage balls or surface features
- Pedals or foot lever control
Most importantly, protect your neck, back, and feet from work-related fatigue by choosing the proper top ergonomic footrest for back pain.