This research is supported by you, our readers, through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More.
|Rank||Heating Pad||Model Name||Sizing|
|1||UTK® Far-Infrared Natural Jade||15” x 19”|
21” x 31”
24” x 70"
|2||Thermotex Universal Infrared||14” x 16”|
17” x 15”
|3||UTK Infrared||27.5" x 24.5"|
|4||TherMedic Multi-Function Far-Infrared||7.5" x 6.3"|
Infrared technology provides heat that doesn’t burn your skin like traditional electric heating pads.
Infrared heating mats provide deeper and long-lasting pain relief over conventional heating pads.
Top Far Infrared Heating Pads for Back Pain Relief
Other than knowing the basics of far infrared light technology and its benefits, you need to know which pads & mats provide the highest quality and best value.
After all, not all far infrared heating pads are alike.
The UTK® Far-Infrared Natural Jade Heating Pad is the best one I’ve personally tried, earning it the number one spot in this review.
This mat provides healthy negative ions and superior far-infrared heat emitted via natural jade stones.
- 5,000 hours of continuous operation
- Electronic time and temperature control
- Heats up in under 10 minutes
- Digital timer with automatic shut off
- 3 sizes – Small (15” x 19”), Medium (21” x 31”), Large (24” x 70”)
- Compatible with AC110-120 and ACC220-240 volts
- For use at home, in your office chair, on the floor, in your car, or anywhere
- 5-foot extra-long electrical cord
- One-year warranty
- Velcro strap to secure the pad
If you only have pain in your lower back or in a specific area, the small size is ideal. If you experience pain that extends above or below the low back, the medium or large infrared heating mat is a better choice.
The Stones and Negative Ions
The natural jade stones heat up and emit far infrared heat designed to penetrate deeply to relieve aches and pains, alleviate tension, improve flexibility, and improve blood circulation. Jade is a healing stone known to improve your positive energy flow.
Negative ions are easily absorbed into your body. They are molecules that have an extra electron. These negative ions are also found in nature in the mountains, at waterfalls, at beaches, and in the air just after a rainstorm.
These ions are believed to have a calming effect that relieves stress, increases your daytime energy, boosts your immune system, and alleviates depression.
You can use this UTK pad under, or, on top of your body.
How fast does it work?
For most people, this far infrared pad provides almost immediate results or within 30 minutes. Some people report it took a few days to reap the benefits of the mat. The results vary according to the severity of the back pain and how often you use the mat.
- You can use the UTK as often as you need, or you can create a routine that fits into your regular schedule.
- Since it’s portable, you can easily work it into your work commute in the car, use it at the office as you work, take it to the couch or recliner and enjoy a movie as you enjoy its benefits, and use it before you go to sleep to prevent nighttime back pain.
Thermotex is another high-quality infrared heat pad brand.
It costs less than the smallest of the UTK pads, but the medium-sized Thermotex Universal Infrared Heating Pad costs more than the UTK medium-sized mat.
Primary Differences Between UTK and Thermotex FIR Pads
- The Gold model of the Thermotex pad isn’t flexible enough to be folded. It features rigid internal elements that should not be bent. Therefore, you cannot use wrap it around your body, use it in your car, or expect it to work on the curvy parts of the body.
- The Platinum pad by Thermotex is larger than the Gold model and is designed with three sections to allow for bending around the body.
- Thermotex pads don’t use jade stones or negative ions. Thermotex uses carbon fibers to deliver the FIR rays, which is as effective as the stones, but this does emit some level of EMF radiation.
Thermotex Gold Features
- 14” x 16”
- Uses a single element device for deep pain-relieving warmth
- It weighs 2.6 pounds for portability
- It is designed for the larger muscles of the back.
- It has Velcro fasteners
- Nylon top cover and 50/50 nylon-cotton blend back cover
- Hi-Low power settings
- Deep penetrating warmth
Thermotex Platinum Features
- 17” x 15”
- Two heat settings
- Flexible, targeted heat therapy
- For use on the back, shoulders, neck, wrists, elbows, knees, and legs
- Three heating elements
The Thermotex brand of infrared heat pads delivers consistent pain relief results as effectively and efficiently as UTK, but with a different design and heat delivery.
While the UTK and Thermotex infrared heating pads have some flexibility for targeting your aches and pains, they are somewhat limited.
Consequently, there are a few pads specifically designed for the neck and shoulders or the knees, elbows, ankles, thighs, forearms, feet, and calves.
If you suffer from pain in your neck and shoulders more than your back, the UTK Infrared Heating Pad for neck and shoulders is a smart investment in pain relief.
This heating pad drapes around your shoulders and has a heating area of 10” x 14” complete with natural jade and tourmaline stones for heat delivery.
It also features an extra-long 8.5-foot cord and is portable for use almost anywhere.
You get the same benefits by using this model on your neck and shoulders as you would get from the models designed for the back. This model costs about the same as the small standard one.
If you experience aches and pains in your forearms, wrists, elbows, knees, thighs, ankles, or feet, this TherMedic Multi-Function Far-Infrared Heating Pad will conform to these areas.
This pad is specifically designed to cover the curvy parts of your joints with FIR technology benefits for fast pain relief.
You get the benefits of a support brace along with infrared heat therapy in an ergonomic, breathable design.
This comes with an all-body wrap, a hot pack, charger, and the user manual. No natural stones are used with this FIR heating pad, but it’s effective for joint pain and other targeted limbs.
The Benefits of Infrared Heating Pads
- Blood circulation enhancement
- Pain reduction
- Joint inflammation and stiffness relief
- Skin cell revitalization
These are a few benefits of this heating technology that works much like the sun, which stimulates the metabolism and aids nutrient absorption.
My preference in FIR heat pads are the models that use natural stones like jade, tourmaline, and amethyst for the healthy delivery of deep, penetrating infrared heat. The bonus of natural stone heat delivery promotes a balanced warming effect.
That isn’t because the other kind of infrared heating pads aren’t effective or efficient, the stones are my personal preference.
Each person is different, so each person will have different needs and wants from this kind of heating pad technology.