The information below reveals the meditation statistics habit of individuals across different locations around the globe.
A survey shows the number of individuals who turn to meditation has surged within the last few years because of its numerous benefits.
A few years ago, meditation was a practice for seeking spiritual purposes or enlightenment, but this perspective changes as it becomes mainstream income for people. Let’s take a look at some meditation statistics.
Summary of Meditation Facts & Statistics
- More than 10% of the US adult population has tried meditation at some point in their lives.
- From 2012 to date, individuals practicing this activity have tripled as the number continues to surge.
- More than 5% of the US children’s population meditate.
- The population of women meditating is more than men.
- The net worth of the meditation market has doubled within the last six years.
- In 2019, the top 10 standard meditation apps generated up to $200 million.
- The number one reason why people meditate is to get general wellness.
- A study shows that individuals that meditate worldwide are within the range of 200-500 million.
Common Meditation Statistics You Should Know Was
Get familiar with the meditation industry and who is a market leader with the statistics below:
- More than 15% of American adults have tried meditation. The report clarifies that these US citizens tried it at least once in their lifetime.
With an adult population of more than 250 million, about 40 million work out periodically.
Research published in 2014 suggested that 40% of the population meditate at least once weekly. Pew Research Centre confirmed this report.
- Individuals practicing meditation have tripled since 2012.
Other research in 2012 shows chiropractic care, meditation and yoga are standard body and mind practices in the US. Complementary and Integrative Health conducted this study.
- A survey in 2017 shows body and mind practices across different US geographies.
The popular practices are rated in percentages as Meditation(14.2%), Yoga(14.3%) and chiropractor (10.3%).
You can click here for further information about meditation statistics.
- More than 5% of children in the US undergo meditation practices.
The 7% meditation statistic recorded in 2017 show a drastic increase from the previous 1.6% in 2012.
Elementary schools in America now include meditation/mindfulness practices as a branch of the curriculum.
The increasing number of meditations could be associated with people’s opinion that it helps relieve anxiety and stress and helps improve the mental strength of children.
Among different religious groups, Buddhists and Hindus meditate the most.
- Women are more likely to meditate compared to men.
A study by National Health Interview Survey shows the data of women to men meditation comparison. The 2017 data report women as 16.3% while men are 12%.
There is ongoing research on why women meditate more than men, as statistics show they enjoy more benefits.
Some experts believe that it can also be related to processing emotional distress.
Men can be outspoken with their feelings, whereas women ruminate when bothered about an issue. This emotional response could be an excellent approach to a solution if utilized effectively.
- Adults between the ages of 45-64 meditate more compared to the younger generation. Data shows they hold 16% of meditation statistics irrespective of gender.
Yes, meditation practices are common across different age groups as stats show that 45-65 and 18-44 years meditate more.
Below is the data representation in statistics; 18-44 (13.4%), 65+ (13.4%) and 45-64 years(15.9%).
Infographics on Meditation Revenue Statistics.
Stats show that many individuals are generating revenue from meditation practices, primarily through product development.
- The net worth of the meditation industries was more than $1 billion in 2015.
- The worth of the meditation industry was $1.2 billion in 2017 and would reach $2 billion before the end of 2022.
- Product sales on ten popular meditation apps generated close to $200 million in 2019.
Individuals on popular apps like Calm, Headspace, are 10% are happier after the practice, as data showed 52% in 2018. With the covid19 pandemic in 2020, the figure should increase soon.
- Popular meditation app Headspace experienced 65 million downloads over time.
Clients love Headspace because it provides short sessions, some of which are free, while others come with a monthly subscription plan.
In addition, you can check out ten meditation gift ideas on the app. Research proves that more than 30% of gamers meditate regularly.
The Importance of Meditation
Meditation provides both mental and physical advantages. They include:
- The number one reason why people meditate is for general well-being.
In 2016, there was research conducted to ascertain the health benefits of meditation and understanding its practices.
Below are some stats around why people meditate: Improving energy(60%), General wellness(76.2%), Anxiety(29.2%), concentration(50%), depression(50%) and depression(17.8%).
More than 60% of individuals from the data percentage above confirm that meditation improves their well-being.
- If you experience insomnia, try meditating as it helps reduce sleep disturbance by 50%.
You can research how meditation improves sleep statistics in 2021. Sleep disorder is a huge issue in the US, so experts advise a few minute meditations before sleep.
- Individuals who suffer from back pain experience 30% improvement after meditation to enable them to go about their daily tasks compared to those who use only drugs.
In every six back pain sufferers, at least two confirm that they find it challenging to carry out essential daily tasks.
The study suggests other approaches to finding lasting solutions to the problem. Interestingly, meditation improves sex as well.
- Meditating helps reduce the chance of coronary heart disease by more than 85%, as meditation practitioners confirm this fact.
Research conducted in 1989 shows that mantra meditation works like magic in preventing heart illnesses. For affirmation, 15 years after the first research, the result remains the same.
Some experts suggested that techniques used to conclude this information have reduced CV mortality compared to people who did not participate in the study.
However, further investigation shows that the 1989 research focuses on 73 individuals as there is still ongoing study about the effect of meditation on heart ailment.
- When you meditate, it reduces depression relapses up to 15%.
A study by the University of Colorado involves a group of pregnant women to ascertain the risk of having postpartum depression after birth.
Results show that those that adhere to a meditation plan experience an 18% relapse rate compared to an overall 30%. So, if you experience a poor attention span, try meditating.
Within four days, you will notice improvement.
- Mindfulness practices reduce Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) chances by 73%.
A study review conducted in 2018 shows that meditations helps reduce symptoms associated with self-blame & numbing cognitions. In addition, the report concluded that mindfulness helps to project positive feelings.
- Some experts confirm that meditation increases the release of an enzyme called telomerase that helps prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s. It reduces this onset by 44%.
Telomerase enzymes help to protect chromosomes and DNA strands. Unfortunately, as we grow older, the lid’s release continues to get shorter, thereby making you vulnerable to Alzheimer’s.
- About 30% of individuals that meditate have unpalatable psychological experiences.
The statistic above proves that despite the numerous benefits meditation provides, not everyone will have a pleasant experience.
Research involving 1,300 individuals reports adverse effects like distorted emotions, fear, and anxiety; about one-quarter undergo psychological trauma.
Although some professionals deemed the methodology too easy, researchers call for more investigation into how meditation affects mental health conditions.
Apart from the health benefits it provides, meditation can be an effective tool to improve productivity at the workplace.
- A survey in 2018 shows that more than 50% of employers provide meditation training for their staff.
The result was a 36% increase compared to the previous year.
The National Business Group on Health (NBGH) confirms that more corporate bodies are introducing stress reduction programs to increase the productivity of their workers.
- Meditation improves staff productivity by 120%, according to research.
A chemical plant in Detroit had a study in the late 19th century to determine how meditation affects employees.
The study used Transcendental Meditation, which means members were to meditate at least twice daily for six months.
The stats show that profit increased by 520%, injuries dropped to 70%, and absenteeism was less than 80%.
Effect of Meditation on Classroom Activities
Below is evidence of the positive results of meditation in the class and how it improves a child’s learning.
- In 2012, more than 90 schools featured meditation as a course in their curriculum. The 91 schools are across 13 states.
Although the current number of schools offering meditation as part of their curriculum in the US is not confirmed yet, educational experts have suggested it should be an integral part of learning.
About 41,000 teachers in the United States use the Calm app for classroom and home learning activities.
- Statistics show that student’s suspension rates reduced by 45% after introducing programs that improve mental wellness in a school.
Visitacion Valley Middle School has increased cases of violence. Therefore, the school authorities introduced ‘Quiet Time’ to put an end to violence.
Likewise, the students could learn better with group meditation.
After a month of the program, they reported a 98% happiness level in the state school survey after a year.
Facts About Meditation Worldwide
Statistics show that this widespread practice originated from India, but it is now a global phenomenon as people understand the inner power reflection provides:
- The number of individuals who meditate across different locations worldwide is between 200 to 500 million, a positive increase.
- The global wellness industry confirms that meditation is worth more than $4.2 trillion, and it should increase by 30% before the end of 2022.
To determine which country meditates the most might be difficult.
However, a report by Google Trends shows that Australia and Ireland hold the first spot in countries that have searched for information relating to meditation within the last 12 months.
Meditation helps reduce violence in society. This practice held a significant role in ending the war in Lebanon. After peace assemblies in Jerusalem, there was a 75% reduction in war-related death.
Over the years, meditation has provided numerous benefits for a range of individuals across different locations.
You can get premium services on meditation apps like the Calm app and others at a considerable price.
Although a small percentage of individuals have negative experiences with meditation, this should not deter you from joining a meditation training program today.
Comment below and let us know how meditation has improved your well-being!
Latest posts by Anne Keiley (see all)
- 7 Best CBD Oil for Depression & How It Works - September 25, 2021
- Joy Organics Review - September 24, 2021
- 7 Best CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis / MS (2021 Update) - September 25, 2021