Over the past few years, the percentage of individuals passionately involved in yoga activities has surged worldwide.
According to the research, this practice helps mental and physical health as this industry generates many millions of dollars annually.
With the numerous benefits yoga provides, there are no signs of diminishing returns anytime soon.
Quick Summary of Yoga Statistics & Facts
- Approximately 40 million citizens of the United States take part in yoga practices.
- The number of individuals doing yoga increased by 50% between 2012-2016.
- Licensed yoga practitioners worldwide are more than 300 million.
- According to data, the yoga industry is worth more than $80 billion.
- Statistics show that Americans spend more than $15 billion annually on class sessions and essential yoga equipment.
- The percentage of female yoga practitioners is more than males. A report shows approximately 75%.
- In 2012, about 4 million men practiced yoga, as the statistics changed to 10 million in 2016. Thus, within four years, more than 100% increment was seen.
- In the United States, about 2 million children practice yoga yearly.
- The popular reasons why people join yoga classes are stress relief and flexibility.
- Approximately 100,000 yoga practitioners register with the US government.
Infographic on Yoga
Popular Yoga Statistics
The content below is a statistical summary of how yoga practices have increase across America and the rest of the world.
- Active yogis in America are approximately 36 million
Yogis are individuals that practice yoga. More than 30 million individuals are currently involved in this practice, as recent data shows that 55 million is attainable by 2020.
- Individuals practicing yoga in America grew by 50% within four years.
Between 2012-2016, Americans practicing yoga increased to 36 million from 20.4 million as the information affirmed that more than 15% of individuals living in the US had done yoga in the last six months.
The Yoga Alliance and Yoga Journal conducted this research. In addition, an expert suggests yoga be the new golf in the next few years.
- Among six Americans, at least two have tried yoga practices.
- Approximately 75% of yogis residing in the US have not practiced for up to five years.
- In 2017, American adults used yoga as a complementary health practice.
Just like yoga, statistics show meditation as another complementary health practice for American adults as it has grown in popularity over time.
- There are more than 5,000 yoga studios in America currently.
- Yoga Alliance said there are more than 100,000 yoga teachers currently registered with them.
- Acroyoga is the most practiced style of yoga. It is a combination of asana and acrobatics.
Bikram yoga practices are becoming popular in the US as individuals affirm its numerous benefits.
You can click here to learn about the risk of this practice. Another name for Bikram yoga is Hot yoga.
Yoga Demographics: People that Can Practice Yoga.
At first, people thought yoga was deeply for spiritual purposes only.
However, as the number of yogis continue to surge, the percentage of individuals who know their asana varies.
- More females practice yoga compared to men. Approximately 75% of females get involved in yoga.
Women enjoy numerous health benefits in yoga practices compared to men. Although the number of men has improved, females are still leading.
- Between 2012 to 2016, men practicing yoga in the US increases by 4 million
- Individuals between the age group 30-49 years more than others.
A survey confirms that yoga is popular among people above 50 years. The statistics show that 18-29, 30-49, and 50+ years old holds 19%, 43%, and 38%, respectively.
- 50+ years old practicing yoga has tripled within the last five years.
- More than 30% of yoga practitioners in the US have young ones also practicing.
- Approximately 2 million children have signed up for yoga classes in the US.
As children learn about the numerous benefits of this practice, the percentage of kids who sign up increases.
Research confirms that about 400,000 kids increment who as in 2012 compared to 2007.
- Yoga is a lucrative source of income. About 70% of registered yoga practitioners earn up to $80,000 annually.
- White practice yoga compared to other races. Statistics show more than 80% of regular yogis are white.
The same data says 90% of yogis have a bachelor’s or master’s degree. This information means educated individuals are more likely to practice yoga.
- Less than 15% of yoga practitioners don’t eat meat.
The population of vegetarian yoga practitioners is about four times the population of vegetarianism in America.
Statistics of The Yoga Industry
As the number of individuals involved in this practice continues to increase, so does its market worth.
- Globally, the yoga industry is worth more than $75 billion as the numbers continue to increase.
- More than $15 billion is spent yearly on yoga equipment, and classes and statistics show that these numbers would keep rising.
The Yoga in America Study confirms a $6 billion increase from $10 billion for yoga magazines, equipment, and other utilities. This amount increased more than 50% within four years.
- In 2012, Yoga was rank among the top fastest-growing industries in America
Data from IBIS World shows that within a decade, the yoga industry grew by 10% annually.
The information confirms the year between 2002-2012 as the growth continued despite a recession in 2008. Similar development occurs in the pilate industry within this period.
- Individuals between the ages group 25-34 spend more on activewear and yoga clothing.
Likewise, the number of youtube yogis subscribers will increase during the 2020 global pandemic.
- The search for yoga apps increased by 70% in 2017. Similar increases occur to meditation apps.
Yoga Statistics and Their Benefit
Yoga proves both physical and mental benefits. To learn more about these details, click here.
- According to research, yoga helps to treat back pain.
Numerous yoga processes treat back pain. If you are among the 80% of citizens of the US struggling with back pain, sign up for yoga class today.
- Yoga sessions can make your day productive.
Employers should allow their workers to engage in yoga in the workplace to improve their well-being. CDC conducted this research.
- Having a yoga session improves mental clarity. 85% of yoga practitioners confirm this information.
- Yoga helps to ease depression.
- British Journal of Sports Medicine affirms that the higher the number of weekly yoga sessions a person is involved in, the lower the depressive symptoms. In addition, there are numerous anxiety-reducing asanas you can try to help keep your mind excited.
- A data in 2016 by Yoga in America shows that people take part in yoga classes to improve flexibility.
Other reasons people sign up for yoga include general fitness, stress, and numerous physical and health benefits.
In addition, the study shows that yogis are likely to live healthy because they eat nutritional substances and create time for local community activities.
- Yoga practices can improve ADHD symptoms in children.
- More than 55% of yogis feel yoga practices improve sleep.
For those that find it difficult to sleep because of work stress or other factors, yoga is an excellent plan to start to improve your well-being.
- 80% of yoga users think the practice helps to reduce stress levels.
- Approximately 30% of individuals that practice yoga make healthier nutrition decisions.
In a report, the National Institute of Health Clinical Center said involvement in yoga practices helps to lose weight. Apart from dropping pounds, it helps to improve the mind and make you look healthier.
- About 80% of yoga users are involved in cycling, jogging, and other group sports.
Yoga Danger Statistics
Most people think yoga is just about stretching. Well, check out the injury statistics below.
- Just like other sports, research has shown yoga can cause severe injuries.
In 2017, a survey conducted by the Faculty of Health Science at Sydney University showed more than 340 yoga users had developed musculoskeletal pain from previous class practices.
Furthermore, 25% of participants said the pain increased in every class, with 10% thinking yoga is the architect of muscular pain.
- Headstand is assumed to be the most dangerous yoga posture.
A survey conducted in Germany by the Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine shows that shoulder stand causes a considerable number of injuries compared to other yoga postures.
- The injury cases of yoga have increased in the last ten years
The National Electronic Injury Surveillance System said at least 100,000 participants get injured from yoga compared to other sports like golf.
The injury percentage in 2001 was 9.5% but has increased to 17% within a few years.
Injury cases increase because of the rise in unqualified teachers for eager beginners. However, comparing yoga cases to sports like basketball, the earlier is much safer.
- Most yoga injuries are on hips, feet, knees, and ankles.
Most yoga teachers advise doing the pose correctly to avoid unnecessary injuries.
Workout cultures like High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), CrossFit and yoga significantly affect back pain.
However, when you are not doing the activities correctly, it could cause Low Back Pain(LBP), fracture, or other significant tissue damage.
Global Statistics of Yoga Worldwide
Numerous individuals worldwide partake in yoga apart from US citizens. Below are statistics showing global yoga practices.
- More than 300 million individuals take part in yoga(excluding the US)
According to research, yoga originated in India, but many countries worldwide have claimed its history. In 2016, yoga was ranked among the most searched words on the internet in the UK.
- Within the last five years, Japanese yoga practitioners have surged drastically. Statistics show more than 400%.
Although it is difficult to decipher the popularity of yoga per country, Google Trend data shows countries that associate with yoga terms periodically while using these statistics to show its popularity in that region.
According to the data provided by Google, the top five countries that use yoga-related words are; Singapore, India, Canada, the United States, and Australia.
Another survey by The Frazer Institute shows that yoga is among the top three complementary therapies popular in Canada.
The percentage statistics are Relaxation techniques(25%), massage(44%), Acupuncture(22%), yoga(27%) and chiropractic care(42%). Do not miss the numerous benefits yoga provides; join a session today.
There is no location restriction with yoga. Interestingly, you enjoy both physical and health benefits at a considerable cost.
Note that you have to follow the posture of the instructor to avoid injuries. For further information about these activities, you can sort materials online.
So why the delay?
Sign up for yoga class today.
Latest posts by Anne Keiley (see all)
- 7 Best CBD Oil for Depression & How It Works - September 25, 2021
- Joy Organics Review - September 24, 2021
- 7 Best CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis / MS (2021 Update) - September 25, 2021